Catalonia is one of the most amazing regions in the world to produce all sort of quality wines. From Empordà county in the north, to Priorat and Terra Alta in the south, not forgetting the Pyrenees, Catalunya gives to wine lovers a wide range of delicious wines. The reason is that in 400km of coast, this territory has 12 DO (wine regions appellation), several climates (Mediterranean, Continental, High mountain…), all kind of grape varieties (local and foreign) and different sort of soils (clay, limestone, slate, granit…).
In addition, there are hundreds of cellars, each one with their techniques and working philosophy. That gives numerous styles of wines for all kind of tastes.
Cellar tours Catalonia
In Taca de vi, our main goal is to introduce you to Catalan wines when you visit our country. We can do it through city located private tastings (Barcelona and surroundings) or taking you to the wine producing regions near Barcelona. Our service cellar tours Catalonia, we organize for you a private half day trip to Penedès, Priorat or Empordà regions, which are some of the most interesting ones to discover.
The tour includes:
– Pick up and drop off from your hotel/accommodation
– Visiting 2 cellars with final tasting of at least 3 wines
– Lunch in a local restaurant with traditional dishes
– Private comfortable transportation
– Personal sommelier guide all day long
For further information and prices, click here.
All the cellars we visit are family business. Friendly people which are willing to show you their secrets, walking through their vineyards, feeling the texture of the barrels and tasting their wines while talking about life.
One of the most interesting things about Catalan wines, are the local grape varieties used to produce the different wines. Each region has their own ones and each one has its personality, aroma and flavour. For example:
– Penedès is mostly famous for their white wines and cavas using the varieties Xarel·lo, Macabeu and Parellada. However, Sumoll is a very interesting red variety which is giving aromatic and balanced wines.
– Priorat and Montsant are famous for their reds full of terroir using the varieties Grenache and Carignan. While in the neighbor Terra Alta region, Grenache White gives white wines well structured with salty after-taste. Empordà county has also a mix of these 3 local varieties.
– Conca de Barberà is one of the historic wine regions, famous for their elegant and delicate reds out of the local variety Trepat.
So do not miss our cellar tours Catalonia when you visit Barcelona!